Skips in Cobham | Safety Tips for Domestic Projects
Epsom Skip Hire is a reputable waste management company operating in the Cobham area, and we believe in pointing out the need for safety to domestic customers who use our skips. Commercial clients and companies have to follow Health & Safety guidelines so nearly all of them are familiar with what can go into skips, how to fill them and, most importantly, how not to overfill them. This makes commercial waste disposal much safer for everybody.
Domestic customers who use us for skip hire in Cobham may not be as familiar with the safest ways to load skips. On this page, we discuss the correct way to use skips in such a way as to ensure your own safety and that of the personnel who come to collect the unit.
- Before skips arrive, consider where you would like us to place them. It is best to position skips on a flat, stable surface that is free from obstructions and, ideally, within the confines of your Cobham property. This makes it easier for you to load material into one of our units without causing property damage or personal injury.
- If you need to position one of our skips on a public highway in Cobham, you must notify us promptly because you’ll need a permit as well as signage and lighting to make passing drivers are aware of its presence. Epsom Skip Hire arranges these elements on your behalf, leaving you free to focus on your rubbish clearance.
- On the day of delivery, let our driver know exactly where you would like us to position the skip. Make sure that the area is clear so we can make a drop-off at your Cobham property without any hitches. Once our skip hire company has made the delivery and positioned the unit, please don’t attempt to move it yourself.
- When loading skips, place the heaviest items in first with lighter materials on top. Smaller items will naturally fill any spaces left so you’ll be able to get more in. Like any skip hire company, we often see skips loaded incorrectly. Some customers end up hiring another skip when they could have loaded just the one unit properly.
- When loading skips at your Cobham property, avoid straining your back by lifting heavy materials correctly. Keep your back straight, squat down to the load and lift from the knees. For the heaviest items, always get somebody to help with the lifting. The last thing Epsom Skip Hire wants is for you to hurt or injure yourself.
- Do not overfill skips. Not only is it dangerous but our drivers won’t be able to collect them because it is against the law to move overfilled skips. Let us know how much rubbish you have and we’ll arrange the right-sized skip hire solution. We find the best way to calculate waste is to estimate the volume in full black bin bags.
- Hazardous waste comes in many shapes and forms so the simple solution is this; if you think it might be hazardous yourself, please leave it out of our skips. The most common items Epsom Skip Hire cannot accept through collections in the Cobham area are refrigerators, freezers, tyres, asbestos, oil, paint and solvents.
Epsom Skip Hire works to quick turnaround times so, once skips are full or you’ve finished loading, call us promptly and we arrange a suitable time and date to collect them.